Bee counter software
beeTrack1 is a c++ program using openCV libraries. Here is an example of it processing video:
Processing steps for each frame:
- Convert image to grey scale.
- Threshold based on grey value.
- Filter to smooth the noise. (The exact process changes from version to version but currently:
- Draw a color contour around each object and color code it based on size (area).
- Check each existing track to see if one falls within a contour of an object.
- If so, append the center coordinates of the object to the track. If not, start a new track.
- When the track ends, increment the IN or OUT counter depending on where the track starts, ends and length.
Open Computer Vision ([]) is an open source computer vision and machine learning software library. The library has more than 2500 optimized algorithms, which includes a comprehensive set of both classic and state-of-the-art computer vision and machine learning algorithms.
Kyle Hounslow has posted several YouTube videos on using openCV for motion tracking:
Note that what most videos call tracking, is really just object identification. Tracking the object from frame to frame is trivial if there is only one object, but becomes harder and more error prone if there are multiple objects, especially if they can touch or occlude each other.