Hardware: Hive Interface Board 5
After a failed attempt at Hive Interface board version 0.4, work has begun on version 0.5.
A different approach from version 0.4 was taken. An Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) evaluation board (Analog Devices EVAL-AD7124-8SDZ) and the Nordic nRF52840 Preview Development Kit (PDK) were purchased.
This allows the software to be developed and tested before the hive interface board is designed.
Create a low power, battery operated, wireless scale based on the Internet of Things (IOT) paradigm with extended communication range and a high performance multi-channel Analog to Digital Converter (ADC).
- AD7124-8 24 bit ADC with 8 differential inputs and digital filters capable of 120 dB notch at 50 Hz and 60 Hz.
Provides independent channels for each of the 4 load cells or four scales with 4 loads cells in parallel.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) support
Uses the Nordic nRF52 32 bit ARM processor with GPIO lines and eight 16 bit ADC inputs.
- 40 pin header plugs into a Pi.
The board can run from the Pi without the nRF52840 as a replacement for the HX711. The nRF52840 can be programmed from the Pi.
Hive Interface Board plugged into the Pi.
- Powered by the Pi
- Sensors can be read by the Pi.
- Without optional nRF52840 installed, board can be operated like ver 0.3.
- nRF52840 (if installed) can be programmed from the Pi.
- Supports up to 8 load cells (4 scales consisting of 2 load cells each)
Hive Interface Board separate from the Pi. The Pi is used for data storage, visualization and forwarding to the cloud via WiFi, Ethernet or cellular modem.
- Lower power requirement at the hive.
- Communication to the PI is via UDP over BLE4.
- Pi is operated as BLE5/6LoWPAN to IP6 thread router using the nRF52840 radio since the Bluetooth radio on the Pi does not support BLE5 (only BLE4).
- Pi can also be used for local data storage and visualization.
- Hive Interface board uses BLE5 and 6LowPAN for long range low power consumption
- Three instrument boards
- hive weight
- Temperature/Relative Humidity and Microphone inside hive
- Temperature/Relative Humidity and LUX outside hive (one per apiary).
- Can form a mesh network for data relay.
NRF52840 Development shows how to get Segger J-Link command line tools running on Linux Debian NRF52840 Development Code is a test program that runs on the nRF52840 and talks to the AD7124 NRF52840 Thread NCP documents running a thread router on the Pi using the nRF52840 dongle as a Network Co-Processor (NCP).